The Dr. Nichols House showing the addition of the
schoolhouse at the rear of the original house.
Photograph by Carol Walker, 2006.
The Alpine Historical Society owns two historic houses which are located at 2116 Tavern Road, Alpine, California. The John DeWitt Museum and Library is located in the Dr. Sophronia Nichols House.
The Nichols House was built in 1896 at this location. Dr. Nichols was Alpine's first medical doctor and held California Medical License #26. She was the sister of Carrie Foss, the matriarch of one of Alpine's pioneer families, and came to Alpine in 1888.
The old Alpine Schoolhouse was added on to the rear of the original building making it a significant historical building. Dr. Nichols' carriage house is located to the rear of the museum.